Saturday, May 24, 2008

goccos, disney and marblehead

This weekend (our weekend is Monday and sometimes Tuesday) Chris and I went home to get some furniture for the apartment we're moving in to next month. As we approached Sandusky, and after I spent some time looking out the window at Lake Erie with binoculars I really started to lament the fact that we most likely can't get married at Marblehead (a lighthouse and beachy-type area on Lake Erie). It's so pretty and I feel like it would be a lot more acceptable to have some type of pot-luck, deli meat sandwiches and/or cake and hors d'oeuvres. When you're inside it seems like a lot more is expected of you. I mean, people are gonna have to DEAL anyway with the fact that we're poor but when you're outside poor is less noticeable.

I have already talked about the cons to getting married outside (we'd have to wait longer, prices go up as the temperature goes up, you can never trust the weather, etc) but MAN do I wish we could just do it. If only I could afford the back-up tent in case it rained.

I recently learned of this handy little machine called a Gocco. Basically you can make all sorts of homemade paper crafts (and other prints but those are of no use to me right now) and they can look amazing. I found these invitations via OffBeat Bride. Aren't they AMAZING?? I mean, granted, you'd still have to buy paper, a Gocco and postage (let alone have someone make a cool design) but I really like the idea of MAKING as much as possible. Mainly because apparently I like to give myself unnecessary stress.

What I definitely know for sure is that I want to go to Disney World more than anything else. How selfish am I? Extremely. I don't want to provide people with FOOD, I want to visit a fake castle, scream when I see a girl under 5'1" dressed in a mouse suit and buy an absurd amount of souvenirs that I will never use (did I really need that Cinderella glass slipper with my birth stone in it? What ever happened to that plush Goofy refrigerator magnet, anyway?) I probably mention Disney World once a day, lately. I've only been there once, 6 years ago (in a week and a half)... but I'm sorry, Disney has always been there for me. Disney taught me how to sing, for Pete's sake! They, along with Jodi Benson, gave me my livelihood. They have entertained me from childhood until now and I still cry while watching Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo because they are just SO WELL WRITTEN. I love Disney and I can't imagine having a honeymoon anywhere else.

Ok, well, except Hawaii, but that's even more expensive. And even if we DID have the money to go to Hawaii I think I would regret not going to Disney World. GOD! I want to go so bad!! The feeling is crazy, yet sincere.

On the plus side to all my complaining, I have a job lined up at the end of our tour contract in the box office of the theatre where I will be making more money and PRESUMABLY we'll be able to start saving. This is, of course, if no medical expenses pop up (like me having to have the tonsils that have been swollen for a week removed or anything else) and no other random expenses. We shall see. You always think, "Woo hoo! A higher paying job! I'll finally be able to [fill in the blank]!" And then as soon as you think you can afford internet or cable you have to spend your entire paycheck on a fractured collar bone or something.

1 comment:

Ernie Gonzalez said...

4 Things:

1. Absolutly loved those invitations

2. Congrats on the Job (meant to say that last week)

3. I'm with you on the Disney thing.

4. (from the other blog) ducks? yikes!